Friday, October 07, 2005

Office Politics

I've never done office politics well. They're tiresome. I like liking the people I work with, I like my job, and I like getting to do my job. These things are all good.

Of course, every now and then, my department in London goes through One Of Those Times that happens to every office. Unhappy things happen. Everyone's a bit uneasy. It's not sinister, but it is unsettling.

It's currently one of those times, and I've been delighted to be at a distance from it all down in Wales. I like going home and being able to sleep at nights. I like going to the gym and not muttering darkly all the way through situps and scaring the ladies on the rowing machines.

But yesterday, a tiny tendril of upheaval lashed down at me from London, leaving me confused, hurt, and rather paranoid. I got an email out of the blue from someone who cheerily announced they're suddenly managing one of my projects for me, they understand I've been having difficulties, but let's not dwell on my failure, things will be done A Bit Differently from now on.

Oh. Muttered so darkly at the gym this morning that even the man who sings while benchpressing gave me a look.

No comments: